Bosbury in WW1 Newspaper Reports

August 29th 1914

APPEAL FOR CLOTHING FOR “C” COMPANY Mrs W.B. WOOD-ROE, of The Slatch, Bosbury, wife of Major WOOD-ROE, issues an appeal for clothing for “C” Company of the 1st Battalion the Herefordshire Regiment. Grey flannel shirts and knitted socks are urgently needed at once. The present price of a ready-made Army shirt is 4s 3d and suitable knitted socks can be bought at 4s a pair. Any subscriptions, however small, or offers of help will gratefully received by Mrs. WOOD-ROE, The Slatch, Bosbury. Parcels, etc may also be sent to the Drill Hall, Ledbury.
The latest official news of the regiment can be obtained by friends of Territorials at the Drill Hall, Ledbury, on Tuesdays, between 2.30 and 4pm. Any information or advice will be given.

From The Ledbury Guardian   Saturday 29 August 1914

September 5th 1914

ROLL OF HONOUR. The following men enlisted at the meeting on Wednesday night and have been added to the Ledbury Roll of Honour:—
. . .
Chris Farmer, Bosbury, Ledbury
Albert Edward Foster, Ailscroft, Bosbury, Ledbury
. . .

From The Ledbury Guardian   Saturday 5 September 1914 p.2 col.4

September 12th 1914

NATIONAL RESERVE Hereford men of the National Reserve have registered for local duty.
. . .
The following men of the National Reserve have volunteered for Lord Kitchener’s Army. The regiments named are those in which the men have served.
. . .
. . .
Cpl. Waithe (The Grange, Bosbury). H.R.V. [should be W Swaithe, see below]
. . .

From The Ledbury Guardian   Saturday 12 September 1914 p.5 col.6

October 12th 1914

LEDBURY ROLL OF HONOUR. The following additions have to be made to the Ledbury Roll of Honour.
. . .
Stroud W., labourer, Bosbury, K.S.L.I.
Rouse G., farm labourer, Bosbury, K.S.L.I.
Rouse T., farm labourer, Bosbury, K.S.L.I.
Mason A., collier, Bosbury, Ledbury, K.S.L.I.
. . .

From The Ledbury Guardian   Saturday 12 October 1914 p.2 col.7

October 24th 1914

RECRUITING MEETING. — An enthusiastic recruiting meeting was held on Friday last at Bosbury in a room kindly lent by Mr Buck. The band of the Reserve Battalion Herefordshire Regiment (who were entertained by the hostess) paraded the village before the meeting, which was very well attended. Colonel M. J. G. Scobie gave a stirring address, and Mr. Roger Rowden, of Eastnor, who organised the gathering, ably supported him. Mr. L’Estrange and Mr. Cook, of Malvern College, showed war pictures on a screen, as they did at Ashperton, and added to the interest of the meeting. Mr. R. Buchanan of Bosbury House, was it is interesting to know, formerly in the Liverpool Scottish, and has two sons serving their country.

From The Ledbury Guardian   Saturday 24 October 1914 p.4 col.4

October 31st 1914

LOCAL PATRIOTISM.—The following Bosbury men are at present serving their country: Sergt. W. Brice, Privates E. Chadney, A. Mason, - Mason, A. Powell, G. Rouse, I Rouse, Corporal W. Swaith, all in the K.S.L.I.; Private R. Mayor, Private A. Peters, R.F.A.; Private G. Palmer, Grenadier Guards, Private L. K. Job, Warwickshire Regiment, Privates A. and R. Buchanan, Liverpool Scottish; Privates G. Box, T. Box, T. Brant, D. Brown, G. Brown, W. Brown, C. Davies, F. Farmer, A. Foster, A. Jones, T. Johnson, T. Owen, and T. Oliver all in the 1st Herefordshire Regiment.

From the Ledbury Guardian   Saturday 31 October 1914 p.2 col.6

November 21st 1914

In the space of 10 days Private Sivel Lane (son of Mr. W. S. Lane, The Farm, Bosbury), joined the Army and landed in France. He recently joined with Mr. Guy Smith, son of Mr. S. S. Smith, Heath Farm, Dymock. They both joined Kitchener’s Army, but have since been transferred, as the following letter, written by Mr. Sivel Lane to his father, will show. The letter is dated November 18th, and was sent from Royal Engineers, Stanhope Lines, Aldershot:—

“You will see by this letter that we have not gone yet. We are all under orders to leave at an hour’s notice. They won't let us go into the town unless we report at the Post office every hour, so expect we shall be off tomorrow. The major in command here inspected us this morning, gave us an address, and shook us all by the hand and wished us the best of luck. The King was down here yesterday and inspected some of the troops. We had a good view of his Majesty, who had a great reception from the soldiers.
“We have been out for a march to-day, and the Army boots have made my feet pretty sore. There are some tremendous camps round here. Our sergeant told me there were 400,000 in training. It is really a sight on the roads. You pass regiment after regiment of troops, and it is really wonderful how they are all kept, housed and fed. When we joined first we were in Kitchener’s Army, but we have been transferred and are now in the Regular Army. None of Kitchener’s Army have yet gone to the front.
”There is a regiment of Camerons here that the King reviewed, and they say they are equal to the Regulars, although they have only had three months training.”

Both Private Lane and Private Smith left for France on Saturday last. A goodly number of farmers’ sons have gone to the colours from the Ledbury and district, but there are still many eligible young men who have not yet responded to the call of their country.

From the Ledbury Guardian   Saturday 21 November 1914 p.2 col.2

. . .
Private J. H. Bettington, bailiff, Bosbury
. . .

From the Ledbury Guardian   Saturday 21 November 1914 p.2 col.4

June 26th 1915

We understand that Mr. Robert Buchanan, of Bosbury House, received a private wire on Monday [21st June] to the effect that his eldest son, Private Alan Buchanan, of the Liverpool Scottish, had been killed in action. Mr. Robert Buchanan was at one time an officer in the same regiment. Another son is about to enter Sandhurst Military College.

From The Hereford Journal   Saturday 26 June 1915 p.5 col.6

July 24th 1915

Mr. and Mrs. George Rouse, of Broad Oak, Bosbury, have this week received the sad intelligence that their son, Pte. George Rouse, of the 1st. K.S.L.I., was wounded at the Front on June 19th and died the following day. The casualty appeared in Tuesday’s list. The parents heard no tidings of their son from the middle of June, and obtained the cordial assistance of Mr. R. Buchanan, of Bosbury House, in an endeavour to trace him. Mr. Buchanan received a letter, dated July 15th. from Lieut. Maurice Foulger, “C” Platoon, “B” Company, 1st. K.S.L.I., stating that Pte. Rouse was badly wounded on June 19th. and died on the morning of the 20th. The letter continues:— “I shall be glad if you will convey to Mrs. Rouse on my behalf my feelings of sympathy in her bereavement. I trust it may be a consolation to her to know that he bore up bravely, and was an excellent soldier, and indeed, a son she might well be proud of.”  Pte. George Rouse and his brother Thomas enlisted in the K.S.L.I. at the outbreak of the war, and George was sent to the Front, being drafted to the 1st. Battalion, some months ago. He joined for twelve years.

From The Hereford Journal   Saturday 24 July 1915 p.5 col.5

January 15th 1916

The 1st. K.S.L.I. suffered heavy casualties about Christmas time, and Private Matthew Thompson, of Bosbury, is reported to have died from wounds.

From The Hereford Journal   Saturday 15 January 1916 p.4 col.4

January 22nd 1916

The Work of the Past Year.

A report on the part Herefordshire has played with regard to the entertainment in our midst of Belgian refugees has been issued.
The first party of refugees arrived in Hereford on the 23rd September, 1914 and consisted of 30 persons, including one family of parents and nine children. Subsequent parties arrived during September, October, December, 1914 and January 1915, a total of 303. 72 more were transferred from London or other towns making a grand total of 375.
During the past nine months many changes have taken place, numbers of persons having been transferred to other places where work has been obtained for them, and young man of fighting age joining the Belgian Army.
At the present date the total number of refugees remaining on the register of the Committee is 210. Three deaths have occurred during their stay in the county, and three or four births have also been notified.
The following is a complete list of hosts and hostesses in the county:
...R. Buchanan Esq. Bosbury ...
The majority of refugees received at Hereford came from Malines and district, Brussels, Antwerp and Ostend.

From The Hereford Journal   Saturday 22 January 1916 p.2 col.5

May 13th 1916

Resignation from Command of 2nd/1st Herefords.
Lieut.-Col. W.B. Wood-Roe, the O.C. 2nd/1st Herefordshire Regiment, has relinquished his command, the announcement being contained in the “London Gazette,” appearing in the Press on saturday last as follows:— “Territorial Force Reserve—Lt.-Col. W.B. Wood-Roe, from Hereford Regiment, to be Lt.-Col. (May 6th).”

The following is an extract from 2nd/1st Herefordshires Battalion orders of May 6th:—
“In relinquishing the command of this Battalion, Lieut.-Colonel Wood-Roe desires to say that he does so with the greatest possible regret. He thanks all ranks for the zeal and co-operation shown since the Battalion was formed. He wishes all the best possible luck and hopes the happy tone which now prevails will continue.”
It was with deep regret that the Battalion heard of the resignation of Colonel Wood-Roe who is a very popular officer, his never-failing courtesy endearing him to all ranks. In losing Colonel Wood-Roe the Battalion has sustained a very great loss. Many of the men in the Battalion have served under Colonel Wood-Roe since the beginning of the war, and they, naturally, feel the parting very much.

From the Hereford Journal   Saturday 13 May 1916 p.5 col.6



It was with much regret that the men of the 2/1 Hereford Regiment learned on Saturday last that Lieut.-Colonel W. B. Wood-Roe, T.D., the officer commanding, had reliquished his command and joined the Territorial Rserve. The “London Gazette” notice published overnight was as follows :— “Territorial Force Reserve—Lieut.-Colonel W. B. Wood-Roe, from Hereford Regiment, to be Lieut.-Colonel, May 6th).”
Major Wm. B. Wood-Roe, as he was prior to October 31st. 1914, was promoted Lieut.-Col. soon after Lieut.-Col. Gilbert Harris was placed in the Teritorial reserve. Major (now Lieut.-Col.) Gilbert Drage succeeded Lieut.-Col. Harris in command of the 1st Battalion, which was on the East coast, and Lieut.-Colonel Wood-Roe remained in command of the Regimental Depot, where he had been since the 1st. Battalion was called up on the outbreak of war and ordered to leave for Northampton. From the start Lieut.-Col. Wood-Roe has been O.C. of the 2nd line, at first known as the Reserve Battalion. He commanded the escort at the presentation of the colours, in August 1914, to the Cathedral authorities for safekeeping; and had under control the arrangements to meet the great rush of recruits in the first few months of the war. Unfortunately while at Aberystwyth, he contracted influenza, and a severe chill, and no doubt the state of his health has had something to do with the change now recorded. He has been a popular officer; one who has been keen not only for training and efficiency but also for the men’s welfare and comfort. Of the men originally in his Battalion perhaps some three-parts have been drafted to the 1st line. Lieut.-Col. Wood-Roe resides at The Slatch, Ledbury. [actually Bosbury] He had seen service before joining “C” (Ledbury) Company in 1898 as Sec. Lieut. and this previous service, coupled with that in the Herefordshire Regiment, gained him the Territorial Decoration a few years back. He became captain in 1897, succeeding Captain Wakelam as Company commander. Lieut.-Col. Wood-Roe is a member of the Herefordshire Territorial Force Association, and during his earlier service qualified in sub-head I. of subject D (Captains), vide Appendix XI., King’s Regulations.
In the Battalion orders for May 6th. Lieut.-Col. Wood-Roe expresses his greatest possible regrtet at leaving the Battalion and adds: “He thanks all ranks for the zeal and co-operation shown since the Battalion was formed. He wishes all the best possible luck, and hopes the happy tone which now prevails will continue.”


May 22nd 1916

HEREFORDS NEW COLONEL. Captain J. H. Addie. Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who has been promoted lieutenant-colonel (temporary) in the Hereford Regiment, as from May 19, succeeds Lieutenant-colonel W. B. Wood-Roe, T.D., who is placed in the Reserve of Officers, in the command of the 2/1st Hereford County Territorials. The new colonel’s battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers was the 7th (Merioneth and Montgomery Territorials).

From the Western Mail   Monday 22 May 1916 p.2 col.7

March 3rd 1916

MEN FOR THE ARMY. County Appeal Tribunal. A meeting of the Herefordshire County Tribunal was held on Thursday.
LEDBURY RURAL. Andrew John Turner, 38, married, Elm Cottage, Bosbury, bootmaker and repairer. Passed C3.- August 1st.
The monthly meeting of the Ledbury Rural Tribunal was held at the boardroom of the Union Workhouse on Monday Mr. Spencer H. Bickham (chairman) presided, and also present were Alderman John Riley, Messrs W.S. Lane E.T. Lane, Walter Pitt, T.A.Pedlingham, H .Cowell, T.Calder, F.Innes ... and the clerk (Mr R. Holmes).
Review of certificates.
April 28th:- William Mason (27) married, passed for general service, wagoner for the exors. of the late Mr. Samuel Willcox, The Grange, Bosbury (final).
May 28th :- Alfred J. Baldwin (24), married, stockman for H.J. Holmes, Upleadon Court, passsed general service (subject to substitution).
August 28th:- Francis L. Broomhall (37) single, carter employed by W.S. Lane, The Farm, Bosbury, formerly passed labour at home and now passed for home garrison duty.
The following applications for leave to apply again were dealt with:-
Edwin H. Gibbs (27), single farming a small holding of pasture for his mother at Stanley Hill, Bosbury on whose behalf two applications and two appeals have been dealt with, was refused;

Postscript: Military Service Tribunals were bodies formed by borough, urban district and rural district councils to hear applications for exemption from conscription into the British Army during the First World War. Although not strictly recruiting bodies, they played an important part in the process of conscription. Tribunals were published as part of the Derby Scheme in 1915, but were continued on a statutory basis by the Military Service Act 1916, which brought in conscription. There were 2,086 local Military Service Tribunals. Men could apply on the grounds of their doing work of national importance, business or domestic hardship, medical unfitness, or conscientious objection.

From the Hereford Journal   Saturday 3 March 1917 p.2 col.3

May 12th 1917

The following casualties were notified this week:
BORDER REGIMENT ... Lewis (27777) T., Ledbury ...

From the Hereford Journal   Saturday 12 May 1917 p.5 col.3

February 2nd 1918

Edward James Foster (20) single (C2), grocer’s carter, in employ of Mr. Collett, Bosbury,— National Service Representative’s appeal allowed.

From the Hereford Journal   Saturday 2 February 1918 p.3 col.3

August 21st 1918


Along with a host of friends we deeply regret the death in France of Company-Quartermaster-Sergeant Fred H. Tudge, of Sherwood Rise, Mansfield Woodhouse, and join in the sincere sympathy which is extended to his wife and two children, and to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Tudge, of Debdale Gate, Mansfield Woodhouse. The official intimation that Sergeant Tudge was killed by a shell, which also wounded three other men, came to hand last Saturday, [18th August 1917] together with an expression of the sympathies of their Majesties, the King and Queen, in their great loss.
For the past 17 months, the late Sergt. Tudge, who was 29 years of age, and attached to the 16th Sherwood Foresters (Chatsworth Rifles) had served in France without ever enjoying leave, and his geniality, manliness, and devotion to duty, won for him the respect and the good will of every man who knew him. It was in May, 1915, that Fred joined the army, his brother Gilbert having enlisted some six months previously in the 12th Sherwoods, and the latter, who is also a Company-Quartermaster Sergt., has now served in France for over two years. The late Sergeant F. Tudge underwent his course of training at Buxton, Sheffield. Winchester, Godalming, and took his final course at Aldershot. He went out to the western front on the 12th of March of last year.

Prior to responding to his country‘s call, Sergeant Tudge was for 15 years in the employ of the Sherwood Colliery Co., Ltd., at their offices, at Mansfield Woodhouse. He was, in fact, the senior member of the clerical staff, having been in the offices ever since the Sherwood Colliery was started and before the shaft was sunk. He faithfully and conscientiously served his employers by whom he was highly valued, and at the time of enlistment he had attained to the responsible position of assistant chief clerk. For many years he was associated with the Leeming-street Primitive Methodist Church, where he was a regular worshipper, and had from time to time given valuable assistance in connection with the Sunday afternoon meetings held there. Possessed of a good deal of natural wit, and having a never-failing fund of good nature, the late Sergeant Tudge naturally made hosts of friends, and he will perhaps be best remembered by very many people by reason of his services as a member of the Mansfield Gipsy Concert Party, which, during its existence raised a considerable sum of money towards the building of the Nottingham-road United Methodist Church. As the humorist of the party he was by general consent the life and soul of the numerous and popular entertainments which the party gave in the town and many other places in the district.


Mr. and Mrs. Tudge have received the following letter from their other son, Gilbert, in which he pays an eloquent and touching tribute to his late brother: —

As usual, 16-8-17.
My dear old Ma, — l received your very nice letter safely, and can confirm the contents. I’ve found the 16th Battalion, after a search, and managed to get full details. Of course, I can’t give you all these, but poor old Freddie got killed on the night of 30-31st July. It might be some consolation to you to know that he suffered nothing at all. He was taken away instantly. One thing, though, which nearly broke my heart, was the kind things said of him by the 16th. Immediately I arrived there (and I went straight away one night after delivering my own rations) all who were about flocked round, and one and all expressed their sympathy. One Corporal told me he didn’t think there was a man in the battalion but what mourned his death. My feelings I cannot describe since I learned the news. I have received a letter from the Corporal I wrote you about, that alone speaks for itself, and l am sending it to you to read. The boys of my battalion have sympathised with me, too, for they soon liked him (what bit they saw of him) and know what I thought of him too. My officers, too, spoke kindly about him. He was a dear boy, mother, and the truest of brothers. No one knows what little kindnesses passed between us out here long before we met, incidents that I shall never forget. I know what a mother’s love is, and I know what yours has been to us both, but my dear ma, believe me when I say that the blow could not have been harder to anyone that it has been to me. He and his dear little boy were on the short list I thought it my duty to enlist for, but he proved himself a man by taking the amount on his own shoulders. My only regret is that he went, when I would willingly have gone in his stead. I was up within a short distance of where he got hit four nights ago, and I can tell you it was a hot place. I don't have to go quite so far now. I hope you will bear up for my sake, and I will try and do so for yours. He is gone, poor dear, for good, but if there is such a thing as a hereafter I hope we shall all meet together again. Well, cheer up, and may these few remarks (though they be of the saddest) be a little comfort to you. Give my love to that dear little boy of his, to dear old dad and to yourself. your ever-loving boy, GILBERT.


The following letter was sent by a comrade of the late Sergeant Tudge to his brother: —

“Dear Friend. — I am just sending you a few lines, as promised. I made further enquiries on arriving back, and I find that the news you received was quite true. Your brother Fred was killed the last night they were going up with rations, in fact all the four of them were caught with the same shell, the other three being wounded. Poor Fred ran right into it, so you can guess how it would be with him. I feel very upset about it, because he was such a good chap to everyone he came in contact with. I am sure it will be a great strain for his parents and wife, and all of you. I feel it as though he was my own brother, as he was my best pal. I will close now, as I don’t feel like writing any more. I will you again some other time. If you should get a spare photo of Fred any time, I should be very pleased if you would let me have one. — Kind regards,
25635 CORPL. J. S. TILSON.

From the Mansfield Reporter and Sutton Times   21 August 1918

Typeface: Baskerville, 1754
B S Sharples   Created: June 2015   Last Modified: December 2016
 go to previous page go to previous menu go to front page
find text