Bosbury in
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire, 1934

[Preamble] [Private Residents] [Commercial Residents]
BOSBURY is a village and parish on the river Leadon, 3½ miles north from Ledbury railway station, on the Hereford and Worcester section of the Great Western railway and 14 east from Hereford, in the Southern division of the county, Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, county court district and petty sessional division, rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient building of stone in the Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, with clerestory, aisles, south porch. of open timberwork, and a massive detached embattled tower of the 13th century, situated about 60 feet south of the church, and containing 6 bells: a clock was presented by the Rev. John Edmund Cheese, a former vicar, in 1878: the chancel is separated froin the nave by a fine oak screen, four panels of which were carved in 1909 as a memorial to Edna Lyall, who died in 1903 and is buried near the churchyard cross: at the east end of the south aisle is the chantry chapel of Sir Rowland Morton, a beautiful specimen of Late Pointed architecture: there are monuments with recumbent figures on each side of the chancel to John Harford, ob. 1573, and to his son, Richard Harford, and his wife, dated 1578: the stained east window is a joint memorial to Lieut. Arthur Clinton Baskerville Mynors, who died at Natal in 1879, and Charles Baskerville Mynors, d. 1863, and there are other stained windows: the font is a work of the 12th century, and the pulpit contains carved panels, probably of 15th century Flemish workmanship: in the porch are the remains of a holy–water stoup; the restoration of the chancel and repewing of the nave was completed in 1871, at a cost of £3,000, under the superintendence of Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, of London: in 1917 part of the roof was destroyed by fire and much damage done to the west end: a thorough structural restoration at an approximate cost of £2,500 was completed in 1921 under the supervision of W.D.Caroe esq: gifts were added to the value of £1,000, a new vestry with oak screen by Mrs. Buck and Miss Beith, and an inner porch, new window and panelled baptistry and pulpit by Miss J. Kempson: panels from the remain of the old pews were placed across the west wall to carry the names of the men who fell in the Great War, 1914–18: the Ecclesiastical Commissioners undertook the restoration of the walls and foundations of the chancel: there are sittings for 350 persons: the churchyard contains a well–preserved village cross. The register dates from the year 1558.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £382, including 6 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Hugh Kynaston Lee Matthews B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. There is a Methodist chapel at Stanley Hill, erected in 1863, and another at Swinmore, also a Free Church hall.  Bosbury House, the seat of Mrs. Buchanan is a mansion of red brick and stone in the Italian style, with balustrades and a portico. Old Court, now a farm, was formerly a palace of the bishops of Hereford; the refectory is used as a cider cellar, but the doorway and wicket are still perfect; a fine oak ceiling remains in one of the rooms of the house; the entrance gateway amd guardroom have been adapted to farm uses. In the Crown Inn, formerly the mansion of the Harford family, there is an ancient panelled room, with the date 1571: over the fireplace are three shields with the arms of William Paulet, first Marquess of Winchester K.G. who died 1572, with the garter and coronet; Wrottesley, of Wrottesley; Scrope, of Castle Combe, Wilts; and Fox of Bromfield; the room is now used as the lodge room of the Bishop Swinfield Lodge of Oddfellows (M.U.). Temple Court, the residence of Mr. John Weyman Jones, was formerly occupied by the Knights Templars. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor of the whole Parish. Mrs. Buchanan, John Harford Pitt esq. Charles Henry Crane esq. and Mrs. Buck are the principal landowners. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. This is a cider and hop district. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops and barley. The area is 4,827 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1931 was 811.
Catley, half a mile north–west, Upleadon, 1 mile west–by–south, and Swinmore, 3 miles, are places in the parish.
Post, M. O., T. & T. E[xpress] D[elivery] Office. Letters through Ledbury

Police Station

(For T N’s [telephone numbers] see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Buchanan Mrs. Robert, Bosbury house
Buck Mrs. Noverings
Cotton Alan, Rosemount, Stanley hill
Dawe Gilbert Maurice, Swinmore
Gibbs Miss, Stanley house
Golland Alfred, Holly mount
Hawkins Jasper, The Old vicarage
Job John K. The Firs
Jones James, jun. Aylescroft
Jones John Weyman, Temple court
Jones Norman, Nash End
Mathews Rev. Hugh Kynaston Lee BA. (vicar), Vicarage
Young Wilfred Edward, The Grange
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Ancient Order of Oddfellows (Bishop Swinfield lodge) (Stephen Turner, sec)
Andrews Fredk. Thos. farmer, Town End
Audrey Donald,farmer & hop grower, Merrings farm
Barrett Wltr. farmer, Stapton ho
Beighton Edward, farmer, Woodlow
Bennett Arthur Elliott, farmer, The Slatch
Bettington Eliz. (Mrs.), farmer
Bishop Wm. Herbt. beer retailer, Staplow
Bosley Fredk. farmer, Upper mill
Bosley Jas. farmer, Catley Cross
°Bosley Thos. Edwin, farmer & hop grower, Bentleys
Box Leonard Edwards, farmer & hop grower, Note ho
Brant Francis John, blacksmith
Broome Geo, Hy.frmr. Norbridge cott
°Cale Kate (Mrs.), farmer, Palace, Bradleys & Woodings farms, Old Country. T N 6
Carter Jn. Chas. farmer, Birchwood cott
Chadd Wm. Albt. draper
Collett Wm. Bishop, grocer. T N 6
Colley Arth. beer retlr. The Brook
Cooper William, water diviner
Cotton Audley, farmer, Paunceford court
Cotton Mary Ann (Miss), farmer & hop grower, The Hill
°Davies Arth. Jas. farmer, Lower ho
Davies Jn. Saml. beer retlr
Drake Leslie A., M.B., O.M. physicn
Edwards Mrs. Annie Maria, farmer, Broadcroft, Fox hill
Fletcher Percy, frmr. Orchards farm
Gibbs Edwin H. farmer, Stanley Hill. T N 8
Goddard Messrs. E. & H. general grocery, drapery & provision stores, newsagents & tobacconists, The General Stores. T N 16
Golland Alfred M.R.C.S.Eng.,L.R.C.P. Edin. physician & surgeon, Holly mount
Goodchap Chas. farmer, Gospel Yew
Goodchap Ernest Thomas, farmer, Little Catley
Gough Thos. Harold, farmer, Hill House farm
Green William, farmer, Paddals frm
°Hawkins Thos. Jn. farmer & hop grower, The Farm
Hickox Chas. blacksmith, Pow Green
Homes Herbert Inett, farmer Upleadon farm
Homes Martin V. farmer & hop grower, Upleadon court
Homes William James, farmer & hop grower, Gold Hill
Howe Jesse Joshua, baker
Innes Wm. J. farmer & hop grower
Jenkins Arth. Geo. frmr. The Aurals
Job Jn. Knight, rating, assistant registrar officer & bailiff to the manor, The Firs
°Jones Jn. Weyman, farmer & hop grower, Temple court. T N 9
Lane Herbert E. farmer & hop grwr. Old court. T N 11
Layton Albert, farmer, Hill park
Millington Wm. farmer, Swinmore
Mosley Willie C. butcher. T N 17
Pearman George Edwin, public house, teas & light refreshments, Bell inn
Powell Eliz. Jane (Mrs.), midwife Maycroft
Powell George Frederick, farmer, Beacon hill
[Rawson Frank, see Ye Old Crown Hotel below]
Shew Edmund George, farmer & hop grower, Cold Green & Lower Cold Green. T N 3
Shuck Wm. D. farmer, Brook house
Smith Chas. Hy. farmer, The North
Turner Alfd. Bertram, farmer, Great Catley
Turner John, farmer, Briercroft
Turner Rt. Jas. farmer, Catley court
Turner Stephen, farmer, Pow Green
Walkers Jim, farmer, Sugar croft
Wilkins Thos. farmer, Green farm
Williams Jessie Mary (Mrs.),farmer, Shilloe
Ye Old Crown Hotel (Frank Rawson, propr)

Typeface: Clarendon, 1845.

Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire. Published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd, London WC2, 1934.

 go to previous page go to front page
print page 
resize text