Bosbury in
Littlebury’s Directory of Herefordshire, 1867



BOSBURY is a large parish and village distant about 5 miles from Ledbury, 13 from Hereford, and 145 from London, in Radlow hundred, Ledbury Union and county court district, Hereford diocese and archdeaconry and Frome rural deanery. The village has a very ancient appearance. The area of the parish is 4,725a. 2r. 7p. and the rateable value £8,120. The soil is as deep heavy clay, and produces excellentcider and hops. The church of the Holy Trinity was erected in the twelfth century. It underwent restoration in 1851 and 1859. It consists of nave, chancel, and two aisles; the chancel is separated from the nave by a low oak screen; There are some curious old monuments to the Harford family, and some fine specimens of ancient carving inserted in the pulpit; there is also an organ. The tower is detached from the church, and is a massive square building containing six bells and a clock. It was originally surmounted by a wooden spire. The earliest register is dated A.D. 1558. The living is a vicarage, annual value £393, with residence, and half an acre of glebe, in the patronage of the Lord Bishop of Hereford, and held by the Rev. John Edmund Cheese, of Lampeter College. There is a Grammar and National school, endowed with about £80 per annum. It has a certificated master. The number of boys on the books is 68; average attendance, 39. There is also a National school for girls, with a certificated mistress; the number on the books is 60; average attendance, 31. The Wesleyan Chapel at Upleadon is a neat building, erected in 1863. At the Crown Inn is a large room containing some remarkable ancient carving, consisting of crests, panels,&c., and the arms of different members of the Harford family. Temple Court, now a farmhouse, the residence of John Pitt, Esq., was formerly the abode of the Knights Templars. Old Court, also a farm-house, was formerly the residence of the Bishops of Hereford. The refectory is now used as a cider cellar, and the doorway and wicket is still perfect. Bosbury House is a red brick and stone mansion in the Italian style, with balustrades and portico; the interior is replete with a rare collection of curiosities ancient and modern. It is the seat of the Rev. Edward Higgins of Brasenose College, Oxon, J.P. and D.L. for Herefordshire and Worcestershire.
The population in 1851 was 1,133, and in 1861, 1,090. The number of inhabited houses was 234.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.–Mr.Frederick Kendrick, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Ledbury by messenger at 9.30 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 4.50 p.m. Letters can be registered. Ledbury is the nearest money-order office, and its post town.
Parish Church (Holy Trinity).–Rev. John Edmund Cheese, Vicar. Joseph Chadd, Parish Clerk.
Grammar and National School (boys).–Mr. Edwin Peacock, Master.
National School (girls).–Miss Lavinia Mower, Mistress.
Wesleyan Chapel {erected 1863).–Upleadon. Ministers various.
Surveyor of Roads (Ledbury Highway District).–M. Charles Edward Audley Lloyd, Stone House.
Carrier to Ledbury.–James Fidoe, every Tuesday; starts at 9 a.m., returns at 5 p.m.; stops at Star Inn, Ledbury.
Carrier to Worcester.–James Fidoe; leaves his house on Saturdays; puts up at Swan Inn, New Street, Worcester, and returns the same day.

Cheese Rev. John Edmund (vicar), The Vicarage
Higgins Rev. Edward, M.A., J.P., and D.L., Bosbury house
Jones Rev. –, The Villa.

Andrews John, farmer, landowner, and hop grower, Catley’s cross
Andrews William, farmer, Shin’s Croft
Barrett James, farmer and landowner, Staplow house
Berry Edward, farmer, New house
Berry William, farmer and hop grower, Swinmore
Bishop William, grocer, &c.
Bosley Thomas, farmer and landowner, Long Acre
Bosley Thomas, jun., farmer, Bentleys
Brook George, shopkeeper and farmer, Upleadon
Burrows Alfred Joseph, farmer and hop grower, Grange farm
Burrows John Ednrund, farmer, The Grange
CAUNDEL HENRY, Bell Inn, and horse breaker
Chadd Joseph, shoemaker and parish clerk
Chadd William, farmer, Brier Croft
Cotton Robert, farmer and hop grower, The Hill
Crouch Thomas, miller, Lower mill
Cummings Joseph, farmer, Slatch farm
Dodd James, wheelwright
Drinkwater Edward, farmer and hop grower, The Farm
Drinkwater Thomas, farmer, Sugar Croft
Edwards Richard, shopkeeper
Edwards Thomas, farmer, Nelmes
Fidoe James, carrier to Worcester and Ledbury
Gardiner Joseph, farmer, Paddles
Gardiner Thomas, butcher and farmer, Town End farm and Dog farm
Green Thomas, farmer and hop grower, Upper Catley
Hall John, farmer, Merrings farm
Hall Thomas, farmer, Long Acre
Harding Richard, beer retailer, Staplow
Hiatt Matthew Edward, farmer and hop grower, Nash End
Hickman Richard, farmer and hop grower, Old court
Hoars William, farmer
Hodgett John, coal dealer, The Wharf
Jackson Joseph, farmer
Jennings William, cooper
Jones George, beer retailer
Kendrick James, farmer and hop grower, Hill house
Kendrick Frederick, sub-postmaster
Kendrick William, farmer, Harbour hill
Lloyd Charles Edward Audley, district surveyor of roads (Ledbury Highway District), Stone house
Maddox John, farmer and hop grower, Upper Catley
Maund James, farmer, The Orchard
Morris Thomas, farmer, Upper mill
Mower Miss Lavinia, schoolmistress
Mutlow James, farmer and hop grower, Gold hill
Mutlow Richard, farmer and hop grower, Cold green
Newman Joseph, farmer, Little Upleadon
Orgee Kenelm, beer retailer and farmer
Palmer John, farmer, Town End
Palmer William, farmer and hop grower, Note house
Parry Thomas, pump maker and well sinker
Peacock Edwin, master of grammar school, and organist
Pitt John, farmer, landowner, and hop grower, Temple court
Reynolds James, farmer and hop grower, The Brook
Shaw John, beer retailer
Shayle George, farmer, landowner, and hop grower, Upleadon court
Sirrell Alfred, blacksmith
Smith John, farmer, The Dowdings
Spencer Edward, farmer and hop grower, Woodlow
Taylor William, farmer, Red castle
Townsend James, blacksmith
Turner Samuel, farmer and hop grower, Lower house
Vobe William, farmer, Hill park

Source: Littlebury: Directory Herefordshire, 1867.

 go to previous page go to front page
print page 
resize text