Bosbury in
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire 1941

[Preamble] [Private Residents] [Commercial Residents]
BOSBURY is a village and parish on the river Leadon, 3½ miles north from Ledbury railway station, on the Hereford and Worcester section of the Great Western railway and 14 east from Hereford, in the Leominster division of the county, hundred of Radlow, rural district, county court district, petty sessional division and rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient building of stone in the Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, with clerestory, aisles, south porch. of open timberwork, and a massive detached embattled tower of the 13th century, situated about 60 feet south of the church, and containing 6 bells: a clock was presented by the Rev. John Edmund Cheese, a former vicar, in 1878: the chancel is separated from the nave by a fine oak screen, four panels of which were carved in 1909 as a memorial to Edna Lyall, who died in 1903 and is buried near the churchyard cross: at the east end of the south aisle is the chantry chapel of Sir Rowland Morton, brother of Cardinal Archbishop Morton, a beautiful specimen of Late Pointed architecture: there are monuments with recumbent figures on each side of the chancel to John Harford, ob. 1573, and to his son, Richard Harford, and his wife, dated 1578: the stained east window is a joint memorial to Lieut. Arthur Clinton Baskerville Mynors, who died at Natal in 1879, and Charles Baskerville Mynors, d. 1863, and there are other stained windows: the font is a work of the 12th century, and the pulpit contains carved panels, probably of 15th century Flemish workmanship: in the porch are the remains of a holy-water stoup; the restoration of the chancel and repewing of the nave was completed in 1871, at a cost of £3,000, under the superintendence of Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, of London: in 1917 part of the roof was destroyed by fire and much damage done to the west end: a thorough structural restoration at an approximate cost of £2,500 was completed in 1921 under the supervision of W.D.Caroe esq: gifts were added to the value of £1,000, a new vestry with oak screen by Mrs. Buck and Miss Beith, and an inner porch, new window and panelled baptistry and pulpit by Miss J. Kempson: panels from the remain of the old pews were placed across the west wall to carry the names of the men who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the Ecclesiastical Commissioners undertook the restoration of the walls and foundations of the chancel: there are sittings for 350 persons: the churchyard contains a well-preserved village cross. The register dates from the year 1558.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £360, including 6 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Hugh Kynaston Lee Matthews B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. There is a Methodist chapel at Stanley Hill, erected in 1863, and another at Swinmore, also a Free Church hall.  Bosbury House, the seat of Capt. Thomas Nathaniel Hone, is a mansion of red brick and stone in the Italian style, with balustrades and a portico. Old Court, now a farm, was formerly a palace of the bishops of Hereford; the refectory is used as a cider cellar, but the doorway and wicket are still perfect; a fine oak ceiling remains in one of the rooms of the house; the entrance gateway amd guardroom have been adapted to farm uses. In the Crown Inn, formerly the mansion of the Harford family, there is an ancient panelled room, with the date 1571: over the fireplace are three shields with the arms of William Paulet, first Marquess of Winchester K.G. who died 1572, with the garter and coronet; Wrottesley, of Wrottesley; Scrope, of Castle Combe, Wilts; and Fox of Bromfield; the room is now used as the lodge room of the Bishop Swinfield Lodge of Oddfellows (M.U.). Temple Court, the residence of Mr. Geoffrey Griffiths, was formerly occupied by the Knights Templars. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor of the whole parish. Mrs. Buchanan, John Harford Pitt esq. Charles Henry Crane esq. and Mrs. Buck are the principal landowners. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. This is a cider and hop district. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops and barley. The area is 4,827 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1931 was 811.
Catley, half a mile north-west, Upleadon, 1 mile west-by-south, and Swinmore, 3 miles, are places in the parish.
Post, M. O. & T. Office. Letters through Ledbury

Police Station

(For T N’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Aitken Air-Commodore R. S., M.G. Harbour hill
Buck Mrs., Noverings
Collett William Bishop, The Firs
Dawe Gilbert Maurice, New house, Swinmore
Dykes Capt. D. B. W. Winserdine
Farr John P, The Grange
Gibbs Miss, Stanley house
Golland Alfred, Holly mount, Stanley hill
Griffiths Geoffrey, Temple court
Hone Capt. Thomas Nathaniel, Bosbury house
Jones Norman, Nashend
Mathews Rev. Hugh Kynaston Lee M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Ancient Order of Oddfellows (Bishop Swinfield lodge) (Stephen Turner, sec)
Andrews Fredk. Thos. farmer, Town End & Grange farm. T N 212
Aubrey Donald, farmer & hop grower, Merrings farm
Barrett Wltr. farmer, Staplow house
Beighton Edward, farmer, Woodlow
Bell Inn (Geo. Edwin Pearman)
Bennett Arth. Elliott, farmer, The Slatch. T N 226
Bettington Eliz. (Mrs.), farmer
Bosley Jas. farmer, Catley Cross
°Bosley Thos. Edwin, farmer & hop grower, Bentleys
Box Leonard Edwards, farmer & hop grower, Note house
Brant Francis John, blacksmith
Brook Inn (Harry Colley)
Broome Geo. Hy. frmr. Norbridge cott
Bunn Jas. farmer, Noverings farm
°Cale Kate (Mrs.), farmer, Palace, Bradleys & Woodings farms, Old Country
Carter Jn. Chas. farmer, Birchwood cott
Clayton Hy. smallholder, Fox hill
Collett Wm. Bishop, grocer. T N 206
Cooper William, water diviner
Cotton Mary Ann (Miss), farmer & hop grower, The Hill
°Davies Arthur Jas. farmer, Lower house T N 235
Fletcher Jas. farmer, Nashend
Fletcher Percy, farmer, Orchards farm
Gibbs Edwin H. farmer, Stanley Hill. T N 208
Gibbs Miss, boarding house, Stanley ho
Goddard E. & H. grocers, The General Stores. T N 216
Goodchap Chas. farmer, Gospel Yew
Goodchap Ernest Thomas, farmer, Little Catley
Gough Thos. Harold, farmer, Hill House farm. T N 233
Green Thomas William, farmer & hop grower, Paddals and Broad Oak farms
°Griffiths Geoffrey, farmer & hop grower, Temple court. T N 209
Hickox Chas. blacksmith, Pow Green
Hill Beatrice (Mrs.), district nurse, Grange cott
Homes Herbert lnett, farmer, Upleadon farm. Trumpet 35
°Homes Martin V. farmer & hop grower, Upleadon court. Trumpet 36
°Homes Wm. Jas. farmer & hop grower, Gold Hill
Howe Jesse Joshua, baker
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Loyal St. Catherine Lodge, No. 6315 (N. Jones, sec.), Nashend
Innes Wm. J. farmer, Woodlow
Jenkins Arth. Geo. farmer. The Aurals
°Lane Herbert E. farmer & hop grower, Old court. T N 211
Layton Albert, farmer, Hill park
Layton Andrew, farmer, Broadcroft, Fox Hill
Lloyd Edwd. Jas. farmer, Swinmore farm
Millington Wm. farmer, Swinmore
Mosley Willie C. butcher. T N 217
Oak Inn (Jas. Stephens), Staplow
Old Country Inn (Mrs. Ada Lord). T N 234
Parker Wltr. Fras., farmer, The Riddings
Powell George Frederick, farmer, Beacon hill
Price Clara. (Mrs.), farmer, Briercroft
Shew Edmund George, farmer & hop grower, Gold Green & Lower Cold Green. T N 203
Shuck Wm. D. farmer, Brook house
Smith Chas. Hy. farmer, The North
Turner Edward S. & Alfred Bertram, farmers, Great Catley
Turner Rt. Jas. farmer, Catley court
Turner Stephen, farmer, Pow Green
Walters Jas. farmer, Sugar croft
Wargent & Sons, agricultural implement reprs.
Webster Wm. M.B., Ch.B.Glas., F.R.C.S.Edin. physcn. & surgn. (surgery)
Wilkins Thos. farmer, Green farm
Williams Jessie Mary (Mrs.),farmer, Shilloe
Williams Wm. H. farm manager to T. J. Hawkins esq. The Farm. T N 210
Ye Old Crown Hotel (Frank Rawson, propr)

Typeface: Clarendon, 1845.

Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire. Published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd, London WC2, 1941.

 go to previous page go to front page
print page 
resize text