[Preamble] [Private Residents] [Commercial Residents]
BOSBURY is a village and parish on the river Leadon, 3½ miles north
from Ledbury railway station, on the Hereford and Worcester section of the
Great Western railway and 14 east from Hereford, in the Southern division of
the county, hundred of Radlow hundred, union, county court district, petty
sessional division and rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of
Hereford. The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient building of stone in the
Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, with
clerestory, aisles, south porch of open timberwork, and a massive detached
embattled tower of the 13th century, situated about 60 feet south of the
church, and containing 6 bells: a clock was presented by the Rev. John Edmund
Cheese, a former vicar, in 1878: the chancel is separated from the nave by a
fine oak screen, four panels of which were carved in 1909 as a memorial to Edna
Lyall, who died in 1903 and is buried near the churchyard cross: at the
east end of the south aisle is the chantry chapel of Sir Rowland Morton, brother of
Cardinal Archbishop Morton, a beautiful specimen of Late Pointed architecture:
there are monuments with recumbent figures on each side of the chancel to John Harford,
ob. 1573, and to his son, Richard Harford, and his wife, dated 1578: the stained east
window is a joint memorial to Lieut. Arthur Clinton Baskerville Mynors, who died in
Natal in 1879, and Charles Baskerville Mynors, d. 1863, and there are other stained
windows: the font is a work of the 12th century, and the pulpit contains carved panels,
probably of 15th century Flemish workmanship: in the porch are the remains of a
holy-water stoup: the restoration of the chancel and repewing of the nave was
completed in 1871, at a cost of £3,000, under the superintendence of Mr.
Ewan Christian, architect, of London: in 1917 part of the roof was destroyed by fire
and much damage done to the west end: a thorough structural restoration at an
approximate cost of £2,500 was completed in 1921 under the supervision of
W.D. Caroe esq: gifts were added to the value of £1,000, a new vestry with
oak screen by Mrs. Buck and Miss Beith, and an inner porch, new window and panelled
baptistry and pulpit by Miss J. Kempson: panels from the remain of the old pews were
placed across the west wall to carry the names of the men who fell in the Great War,
191418: the Ecclesiastical Commissioners undertook the restoration of the walls and
foundations of the chancel: there are sittings for 350 persons: the churchyard contains
a wellpreserved village cross. The register dates from the year 1558.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £382, including 6 acres of glebe, with
residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held since 1927 by the Rev.
Hugh Kynaston Lee Mathews B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. There is
a Wesleyan chapel at Stanley Hill, erected in 1863, and a Primitive Methodist
chapel at Swinmore, and also a Free Church hall. Bosbury House,
the seat of Mrs Buchanan, is a mansion of red brick and stone in the Italian
style, with balustrades and a portico. Old Court, now a farm, was formerly a palace
of the bishops of Hereford; the refectory is used as a cider cellar, but the doorway
and wicket are still perfect; a fine oak ceiling remains in one of the rooms of
the house; the entrance gateway amd guardroom have been adapted to farm uses.
In the Crown Inn, formerly the mansion of the Harford family, there is an
ancient panelled room, with the date 1571: over the fireplace are three shields
with the arms of William Paulet, first Marquess of Winchester K.G. who died 1572,
with the garter and coronet; Wrottesley, of Wrottesley; Scrope, of Castle Combe,
Wilts; and Fox of Bromfield; the room is now used as the lodge room of the Bishop
Swinfield Lodge of Oddfellows (M.U.). Temple Court, the residence of Mr. John
Weyman Jones, was formerly occupied by the Knights Templars. The Ecclesiastical
Commissioners are lords of the manor of the whole parish. Mrs. Buchanan, John
Harford Pitt esq. Charles Henry Crane esq. and Mrs. Buck are the principal landowners.
The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. This is a cider and hop district. The chief crops
are wheat, beans, hops and barley. The area is 4,827 acres of land and inland water;
the population in 1921 was 871.
Catley, half a mile northwest, Upleadon, 1 mile west-by-south, and
Swinmore, 3 miles, are places in the parish.
Post, M. O. & T. & T. E. D. [Telephonic Express Delivery] Office.
Letters through Ledbury
Carrier.—Oliver Howe, to Ledbury, tues. & sat.; Hereford,
wed. & Bromyard, thurs. returning same days