Bosbury in
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire 1922

 
[Preamble] [Private Residents] [Commercial Residents]
BOSBURY is a village and parish on the river Leadon, 3½ miles from Ledbury railway station, on the Hereford and Worcester section of the Great Western railway and 14 east from Hereford, in the southern division of the county, Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, county court district and petty sessional division, rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient building of stone in the Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, with clerestory, aisles, south porch of open timberwork, and a massive detached embattled tower of the 13th century, situated about 60 feet south of the church, and containing 6 bells: a clock was presented by the Rev. John Edmund Cheese, late vicar, in 1878: the chancel is separated from the nave by a fine oak screen, four panels of which were carved in 1909 as a memorial to “Edna Lyall”, who died in 1903 and is buried near the churchyard cross: at the east end of the south aisle is the chantry chapel of Sir Rowland Morton, a beautiful specimen of Late Pointed architecture: there are monuments with recumbent figures on each side of the chancel to John Harford, ob. 1573, and to his son, Richard Harford, and his wife, dated 1578: the stained east window is a joint memorial to Lieut. Arthur Clinton Baskerville Mynors, who died at Natal in 1879, and Charles Baskerville Mynors, d. 1863, and there are other stained windows: the font is a work of the 12th century, the pulpit contains carved panels, probably of 15th. century Flemish workmanship: in the porch are the remains of a holy-water stoup: the restoration of the chancel and repewing of the nave was completed in 1871, at a cost of £3,000, under the superintendence of Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, of London: in 1917 part of the roof was destroyed by fire and much damage done to the west end: a thorough structural restoration at an approximate cost of £2,500 was completed in 1921 under the supervision of W.D.Caroe esq.: gifts were added to the value of £1,000, a new vestry with oak screen by Mrs. Buck and Miss Beith, and an inner porch, new window and panelled baptistery and pulpit by Miss J. Kempson: panels from the remains of the old pews were placed across the west wall to carry the names of the men who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the Ecclesiastical Commissioners undertook the restoration of the walls and foundations of the chancel: there are sittings for 350 persons: the churchyard contains a well-preserved village cross. The register dates from the year 1558.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £382, including six acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held since 1917 by the Rev. Harold Edward Grindley, M.A. of Trinity College, Oxford. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Stanley Hill, erected in 1863, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Swinmore, and also a Free Church hall.  Bosbury House, the seat of Mrs. Buchanan, is a mansion of red brick and stone in the Italian style, with balustrades and a portico; Old Court, now a farm, was formerly a palace of the bishops of Hereford; the refectory is used as a cider cellar, but the doorway and wicket are still perfect; a fine oak ceiling remains in one of the rooms of the house; the entrance gateway and guardroom have been adapted to farm uses. In the Crown Inn, formerly the mansion of the Harford family, there is an ancient panelled room, with the date 1571: over the fireplace are three shields with the arms of William Paulet, first Marquess of Winchester K.G. who died 1572, with the garter and coronet; Wrottesley, of Wrottesley; Scrope, of Castle Combe, Wilts; and Fox of Bromfield; the room is now used as the lodge room of the Bishop Swinfield Lodge of Oddfellows (M.U.). Temple Court, the residence of Mr. Edward Ballard Thompson, farmer, was formerly occupied by the Knights Templars. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor of the whole parish. Mrs. Buchanan, John Harford Pitt esq., Charles Henry Crane esq. and Mrs. Buck are the principal landowners. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. This is a cider and hop district. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops and barley. The area is 4,816 acres of land and 9 of water; rateable value, £7,311; the population in 1911 was 852.
Catley, half a mile north–west, Upleadon, 1 mile west-by-south, and Swinmore 3 miles are places in the parish.
 
Parish Clerk, John Turner.
 
Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office.– Mrs Fanny Drew, sub-postmistress. Letters are received through Ledbury

Police Station, Henry Vincent Campion, officer in charge

Schools.

Free Grammar, built & endowed by Sir Rowland Morton in 1540 with lands now yielding yearly a rental of £132, for 60 boys; John Knight Job, master
Public Elementary (girls & infants), built in 1848 & enlarged in 1883, & again in 1894, for 120 girls;       , mistress

Carrier :– Oliver Howe, to Ledbury, tues. & sat.; Hereford, wed. & Bromyard, thurs. returning same days

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Buchanan Mrs., Bosbury house
Buck Mrs., Noverings
Gibbs Miss, Stanley house
Golland Alfred M.R.C.S. Holly Mount
Grindley Rev. Harold Edward M.A. (vicar) Vicarage
Job John K., The Firs
Kempson Miss, Harbour hill
Moon Thomas H., Staplow house
Ockey Mrs. Rosemount, Stanley Hill
Parker Miss. Aylescroft
Pritchard Norman, The Grange
Pritchard William, Swinmore
 
COMMERCIAL.
Ancient Order of Oddfellows (Bishop Swinfield Lodge) (Stephen Turner, sec)
Beaumont Bros. farmers, Town End
Beighton Edward, farmer, Woodlow
Bettington Charles, carrier
Bishop Thomas, beer retailer, Staplow
Bosley James, farmer, Noverings
Bosley Thomas Charles, farmer & hop grower, Note house
Bosley Thomas Edwin, farmer, Catley Cross & Bentleys
Box Brothers, farmers & hop growers, Woodlow
Brant Francis John, blacksmith
Bridges William, farmer, Woodlow
Cale Mrs. farmer, Palace, Bradleys & Woodings farms, Old country
Collett William, grocer
Cosford Uriah Robert, grocer
Cotton Allan, wheelwright
Cotton Audley, farmer, Paunceford Court
Cotton John, farmer & hop grower, The Hill
Curtis Edward J., farmer, The North
Dyke Eliza (Mrs.) Ye Old Crown hotel
Davies Edwin, farmer, Stanley hill
Edwards Joseph, farmer & landowner, Broadcroft, Fox Hill
Fletcher Allen, miller, Lower mill
Fletcher Jas. Allen, farmer, Nash End
Gibbs Edwin, farmer, Stanley Hill
Godwin Richard, farmer, Nash End
Golland Alfred M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P. Edin., physician & surgeon, Holly Mount
Goodchap Charles, farmer, Gospel Yew
Goodchap Ernest Thomas, farmer, Little Catley
Green Annie (Miss), apartments, School house
Green, William, farmer, Paddals farm
Hatt William, beer retailer
Hickox Charles, blacksmith, Pow green
Hodgkiss John, farmer, Nelmes
Homes Herbert Inett, farmer, Upleadon farm
Homes Martin W., farmer, Upleadon Court
Homes William James, farmer, Gold hill
Innes Albert, farmer, Upper Mill
Job John Knight, schoolmaster, sec. to Bosbury Horse Show & bailiff of the manor & assistant overseer, The Firs
Lane Herbert E., farmer, Old court
Lane William Sivell, farmer, The Farm
Layton Albert, farmer Hill park
Linton Joseph, farmer, Green farm
Lloyd Edward C., farmer, Swinmore
Lloyd William, farmer, Shillow
Measures John T., Bell Inn,
Meikle Malcolm, farmer, The Slatch
Millington William, farmer, Swinmore
Moore Percival, farmer, Hill farm
Muer & Goldsmith, farmers, The Aurals
Parker Walter, butcher
Payne Thomas, farmer & hop grower, Merrings farm
Philips Philip G., farmer, Riddings
Philpotts Henry, shopkeeper
Price John & Sons, wheelwrights
Price Arnold, farmer, Beacon Hill
Price John, farmer, Catley Court
Pullen Walter (Mrs.) farmer, Little Noverings
Roger & Havre, farmers, Lower house
Shew Edmund George, farmer & hop grower, Cold green & Lower Cold Green
Shuch William D., farmer, Brook house
Smyllie Richard M., farmer, Norbridge cottage
Stin Walter, farmer, Sugar croft
Thompson Edward Ballard, farmer, Temple Court
Tottenham Ralph, farmer & hop grower, Orchards
Turner John, farmer, Briercroft
Turner Rt, Jas, farmer, Catley court
Turner Stephen, farmer, Pow Green
Walsh Cyril, farmer, Birchwood cottage
Wood William, Shopkeeper, Stanley Hill
Young Harriet (Mrs.), beer retailer, The Brook

Typeface on this page is Clarendon published in 1845.

Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire. Published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd, London WC2, 1922.

Transcribed by Liz Keatley, Bosbury Chroniclers 2015.


 go to previous page go to front page
print page 
resize text