[Preamble] [Private Residents] [Commercial Residents]
BOSBURY is a village and parish on the river Leadon, 3½ miles north
from Ledbury railway station, on the Hereford and Worcester section of the
Great Western railway and 14 east from Hereford, in the Southern division of
the county, Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, county court district and petty
sessional division, rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of
Hereford. The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient building of stone in the
Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, with
clerestory, aisles, south porch of open timberwork, and a massive detached
embattled tower of the 13th century, situated about 60 feet south of the
church, and containing 6 bells: a clock was presented by the Rev. John Edmund
Cheese, a former vicar, in 1878: the chancel is separated from the nave by a
fine oak screen, two panels of which were carved in 1909 as a memorial to Edna
Lyall, who died in 1903 and is buried near the churchyard cross: at the
east end of the south aisle is the chantry chapel of Sir Rowland Morton, a beautiful
specimen of Late Pointed architecture: there are monuments with recumbent
figures on each side of the chancel to John Harford, ob. 1573, and to his son,
Richard Harford, and his wife, dated 1578: the stained east window is a joint
memorial to Lieut. Arthur Clinton Baskerville Mynors, who died at Natal in 1879,
and Charles Baskerville Mynors, d. 1863, and there are other stained windows: the
font is a work of the 12th century, and there is a still older one, probably of
Saxon origin, of which now only the bowl remains: the pulpit is of finely
carved oak: a handsome brass eagle lectern was presented to the church in 1894:
in the porch are the remains of a holy-water stoup: the restoration of the
chancel and repewing of the nave was completed in 1871, at a cost of £3,000,
under the superintendence of Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, of London: there
are sittings for 450 persons: the churchyard contains a well-preserved village
cross. The register dates from the year 1558.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £240, including 6 acres of glebe, with
residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held since 1917 by the Rev.
Harold Edward Grindley M.A. of Trinity College, Oxford. There is
a Wesleyan chapel at Stanley Hill, erected in 1863, and a Primitive Methodist
chapel at Swinmore, also a meeting house for Plymouth Brethren. Bosbury House,
the seat of Robert Buchanan esq. is a mansion of red brick and stone in the Italian
style, with balustrades and a portico. Old Court, now a farm, was formerly a palace
of the bishops of Hereford; the refectory is used as a cider cellar, but the doorway
and wicket are still perfect. In the Crown Inn, formerly the mansion of the Harford
family, there is an ancient panelled room, with the date 1571: over the
fireplace are three shields with the arms of William Paulet, first Marquess of
Winchester K.G. who died 1572, with the garter and coronet; Wrottesley, of
Wrottesley; Scrope, of Castle Combe, Wilts; and Fox of Bromfield; the room is
now used as the lodge room of the Bishop Swinfield Lodge of Oddfellows (M.U.).
Temple Court, the residence of Mr. Edward Ballard Thompson, farmer, was formerly
occupied by the Knights Templars. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of
the manor of the whole parish. R. Buchanan esq. John Harford Pitt esq. Charles
Henry Crane esq. and Mrs. Buck are the principal landowners. The soil is heavy;
subsoil, clay. This is a cider and hop district. The chief crops are wheat, beans,
hops and barley. The area is 4,816 acres of land and 9 of water; rateable value,
£6,450; the population in 1911 was 852.
Catley, half a mile northwest, Upleadon, 1 mile west-by-south, and
Swinmore, 3 miles, are places in the parish.
Parish Clerk, John Turner.
Post, M. O. & T. & Telephonic Express Delivery Office. Mrs
Fanny Drew, sub-postmistress. Letters are received through Ledbury.
Police Station, Henry Vincent Campion, officer in charge
Free Grammar, built & endowed by Sir Rowland Morton in 1540 with lands now yielding
yearly a rental of £132, for 60 boys; John Knight Job, master
Public Elementary (girls & infants), built in 1848 & enlarged
in 1883, & again in 1894, for 120 girls; average attendance, 82; Mrs H.
Carriers to :
Ledbury Richard Preece, Charles Hickox, John Jones &
Ernest Thomas Goodchap, tues
Malvern Charles Hickox, wed. & sat
Worcester John Jones, sat
Returning same days