[Preamble] [Private Residents] [Commercial Residents]
is an extensive parish and very picturesque village, about 4 miles N.
from Ledbury Railway Station on the Hereford and Worcester Section of the Great Western Railway,
and 13 E. from Hereford; in the Southern Parliamentary division of the County, Radlow
hundred, Ledbury union, county court district. rural district, and petty sessional division,
and Bosbury and Colwall polling district and electoral division of the county council.
The population in 1901 was 872, in 1911, 852; area of parish, 4,827 acres; annual assessable value,
£4,628. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are lords of the manor, Robert Buchanan. Esq., J.P.,
of Bosbury House, John Harford Pitt, Esq., of Temple Court, Samuel Wilcox, Esq., The Grange, and
Mrs. Buck, are the principal landowners.
The soil is a deep heavy clay, and produces excellent cider and hops. Bosbury was once a place of
considerable importance. Its Saxon name was Bosamberig, or Bosas town. According to Leland,
Bishop Athelstan died here in 1056. The Norman prelates also lived at Bosbury. It was the favourite
residence of the great Bishop Cantilupe, St. Thomas of Hereford; and his friend and successor,
Bishop Swinfield, died here in 1316. The parish is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford,
and rural deanery of Ledbury; living, a vicarage; net value £217, including 6 acres of glebe with residence;
patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; vicar, the Rev. Thomas William Harvey, M.A., of St. Katherines
College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1908.
The church, which has seatings for 394 persons, and is dedicated to the Holy Trinity
was erected in the twelfth century. It has undergone three restorationsin 1851, in the Rev. J.
Underwoods incumbency; in 1859, under the Rev. Berkeley L. Scudamore Stanhope; and was
completed in 1871, under the Rev. J. E. Cheese. The total cost of restoration was about £3,100. The
embattled tower is a massive 12th century structure containing six bells and a clock, and is detached
from the church.
(There are seven instances of this in Herefordshire, the other six being Garway, Holmer,
Ledbury, Pembridge, Richards Castle, and Yarpole). It was originally
surmounted by a wooden spire and was probably built as a place of safety during the Welsh raids.
The church has a Norman doorway, and consists of a long nave,
divided from its side aisles by six pointed arches, resting on round pillars, with
capitals, characteristic of the Transition period. The clerestory windows, the triple lights of
the west end, and the very beautiful lancet windows of the side aisles, are of the same date (about
1180). The interesting fan tracery screen of oak dividing the nave from the spacious chancel, has been
restored as a memorial to "Edna Lyall" (the pseudonym of Ada Ellen Bayly) the distinguished novelist
who died in 1903, and is buried near the Churchyard Cross.
The chancel was entirely rebuilt by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners at the last restoration, when
an organchamber was built on the north side of the chancel for the reception of an organ, presented
to the parish by Mrs. Hope, sister of Mrs. Higgins, of Bosbury house, at whose cost, also,
the chamber and warming apparatus were erected. The case is of pitchpine, and the front double
diapason pipes are richly coloured. There are two very curious and well-preserved sepulchral monuments
on either side of the altar; one representing a recumbent figure of John Harford, with the date 1573;
the other having figures of Richard Harford, son of the former, and his wife. The old pre-reformation
open seats in the nave have been preserved. There are some fine specimens of ancient carving inserted
in the pulpit. On the south side of the nave is the chantry of Sir Rowland Morton, a beautiful
specimen of late Pointed architecture. temp.
Henry VII. This chapel is embattled on the exterior,
and is lighted by windows of the shape and tracery of the time when it was erected.
Near this, is the oldest inscription in the church, painted on the wall in old characters, in memory of
the father of Bishop Swinfield, who died in 1282, but the inscription is almost illegible.
The font, near the west end of the church, is of large size, square, and supported on five short pillars,
and is of thirteenth century date. An old Saxon font, discovered under the nave in 1844, has been erected
at the west end. Various gifts were made to the Church for use in the Church and Sacrarium in 1898,
including four beautifully embroidered altar frontals, sanctuary hangings, etc. The altar retable was painted
in gold and colours, and the lych-gate and churchyard wall was restored in 1900.
In the churchyard is a well-restored cross of red sandstone, probably 14th century. It bears the inscription
"Honour not the + but honour God for Christ." The Puritans in the 17th century spared the cross on condition
that this was inscribed on it. The parish registers begin with the year 1558.
The grammar school for boys, endowed by Sir Rowland Morton with cottages yielding a rental
of £132 per annum, is now a Public Elementary School with an average attendance of 58. There is also a school
for girls and infants. The number of children under instruction at both schools is 140. The Wesleyan chapel
at Stanley hill is a neat brick building, erected in 1863, The Primitive Methodists have a chapel at Swinmore.
Among the objects of curiosity in this parish may be mentioned the ancient panelled oak-room at the
, where the Harford family once resided; above the fireplace, under carved circular recesses of
Jacobean date, are placed the arms and quarterings, duly blazoned, of the Harfords and their relatives.
the oak wainscotting on one side of this room had been transferred to the church to make a reredos, but in
the late alterations, being deemed inappropriate, it was sent back to the place from whence it came.
The Bishop Swinfield Lodge of Oddfellows hold their meetings in this room.
, the residence of Edward Ballard Thompson, Esq., was formerly a preceptory of the Knights
Templars, and afterwards of the Knights Hospitallers. There are interesting monumental slabs of each
preserved in the church. The gatehouse, and a room where the original ceiling of massive parallel oak beams
is still entire, are the only remains of the Bishops palace, which was taken down about the
year 1572. From a claim for dilapidations against the executors of Bishop Scory, in 1586, preserved in the
British Museum, it appears that the Court hall was 80 feet long, 40 feet broad, and the height
between the foundation and the wall-plate 20 feet. There was also a stage-hall 40 feet long and 20 feet high,
and kitchen and brewhouse. In this episcopal hall many most important matters were transacted. Here,
on the feast of St. Gregory, 1278, Bishop Cantilupe challenged the judges who had been appointed by the
Court of Rome, to decide upon the cause between the see of St. Asaph and that of Hereford, and
appealed to the apostolic see. This he did in all due form, in the presence of many witnesses.
First he read the appeal in Latin, but afterwards expounded it to them in French, and was careful to have
it recorded that this was done in his hall at Bosbury, before dinner.
, the seat of Robert Buchanan, Esq., J.P., is a spacious red brick
and stone mansion in the Italian style, with balustrades and portico.
is the residence of Samuel Wilcox, Esq.
POSTAL REGULATIONS.Miss Fanny Kendrick, Sub-Postmistress
Letters arrive from Ledbury at 7.20 a.m. and 1.20 p.m.; despatched thereto at 11.20 a.m. and
5.30 p.m., received on Sunday at 7.45 a.m., despatched 9.25 a.m. This is a money order office,
savings bank and telegraph office. Post town, Ledbury. Letters can be registered.
The Wall letter box at Stanley hill is cleared at 5 p.m. (except Sunday), and Broad Oaks Cross-roads
at 8.45 a.m. and 4 p.m. New House, 11.25 a.m. and 5,25 p.m.; Woodlow, 9.10 a.m. and 4.30 p.m.;
Staplow, 11.35 a.m. and 5.45 p.m.; Sundays, 9.40 a.m.; Swinmore, 8.10 a.m. and 4.30 p.m., week days only.
Parish Church (Holy Trinity)
.Rev. Thomas William Harvey, M.A., Vicar; Edward Thomas Lane
and Edward Ballard Thompson, Churchwardens
; Charles Bettington, Parish Clerk
Free Grammar (Morton Endowed) School (Boys)
.John Knight Job, Master
Public Elementary School (girls and infants)
.Miss Mary Ann Arrowsmith, Mistress
Primitive Methodist Chapel
, Swinmore.Ministers various.
Plymouth Brethren Meeting Room
, Stanley hill.Ministers various.
.John Knight Job.
.Douglas Evans, constable in charge
Carriers to Ledbury
Richard Preece, Seven Stars, Tuesday.
John Jones, "Seven Stars," Tues. & Sat.
Carrier to Malvern
Barrett, James, Staplow house
Buchanan, Robert, J.P., Bosbury house
Buck, Mrs., Noverings
Harvey, Rev. Thomas William, M.A., (vicar), The Vicarage
Job, John Knight, The Firs
Leathley, Rev. H.M., B.A., (curate), Church cottage
Manning, James Parker, Stanley house
Ockey, Mrs. Rose Mount
Pritchard, William, Swinmore
Wilcox, Samuel. The Grange
Wood-Roe, William Brookes, The Slatch
Arrowsmith, Miss Mary Ann, schoolmistress, Lower house
Barrett, James, farmer and landowner, Staplow house
Bettington, Charles, farmer, The Brook
Bishop, William, beer retailer, Oak Inn, Staplow
Bishop, William, cottage farmer and beer retailer, Old Country
Bosbury Laundry, The village
Bosley, James, farmer, Noverings farm
Bosley, Thomas Charles, farmer and hop grower, Note house
Bosley, Thomas Edwin, farmer, and hop grower, Catley cross
Bosley, Thomas Edwin, farmer and hop grower, fruit grower and cider merchant and landowner, Bentleys
Box, William, farmer and hop grower, Woodlow
Brant, Francis J, shoeing and general smith
Bridges, William, farmer, Woodlow
Brown, George, farmer, Shillo
Buchanan, Robert, farmer and hop grower, Nash End'
Bufton, John, wheelwright
Bunn, Alfred George, farmer and hop grower, Swinmore farm
Cale, John, farmer, Old Country
Collett, George, farmer, Sugar croft
Collett, William Bishop, grocer and provision dealer
Cooke, John, farmer, Swinmore
Cosford, Uriah R., grocer and provision dealer, The Village
Cotton, Allan, wheelwright and smith, New house
Cotton, George, farmer, The Verne, Swinmore
Cotton, John, farmer and hop grower, The Hill
Edwards, Joseph, landowner, farmer, and hop grower, Broadcroft, Fox hill
Evans, Ernest, Bell Inn
Fletcher, Allan, farmer, Long Acre
Gardiner, Mrs. Ann, cottage farmer, Norbridge
Gibbs, Mrs., cottage farmer, Stanley hill
Gifford, James, farmer, Hill park
Goodchap, Charles, carrier, Foxhill
Gooclchap, Ernest, farmer and hop grower, Little Catley
Goodchap, James, farmer, Foxhill
Green, William, farmer and hop grower, Lower house and Brook farm
Green, William, wheelwright, School house
Griffiths, Charles, farmer, Upper mill
Harford, George, farmer, Lower house, Swinmore
Harris, William, farmer and hop grower, Upleadon court
Hickox, Charles, blacksmith and carrier, Pow green
Hill, John, farmer, Gospel Yew
Hodgkiss, John, farmer, Nelmes
Holmes, Herbert Inett, farmer, and hop grower, Upleadon
Homes, William James, farmer and hop and fruit grower, Gold hill
Humphreys, W., farmer, Green farm
Jackson, Charles, bailiff to R. Buchanan, Esq., Townend farm
Jackson, Joseph, farmer and hop grower, The Orchards
Job, John Knight, schoolmaster, teacher of music, organist and assistant overseer, The Firs
Jones, George, bailiff to S. Wilcox, Esq., The Grange
Jones, John, carrier, Stanley hill
Karslake, William Richard, farmer and hop grower, Riddings
Kendrick, Miss Fanny, subpostmistress
Lane, Edward Thomas, farmer and hop grower, Old Court
Lane, Sivell, farmer, The wharf
Lane, William Sivell, farmer and hop grower, The farm
Parker, Walter, butcher
PARMEE, ALFRED G., Ye Olde Crown Hotel. Posting in all its branches, good accommodation for
motorists, cyclists, &c., catering a speciality. See the oak panelled room, date 1571
Payne, Thomas, farmer, Merrings farm
Pears, Thomas, farmer, Harbour hill
Pember, William, farmer and hop grower, North farm and Hill house
Philpotts, Henry, shopkeeper and baker
Preece, Richard, farmer and carrier, Pow green
Price, John, farmer and hop grower, Catley court
Pritchard, William, New house, Swinmore
Pullen, James, shopkeeper and carrier, Stanley hill
Pullen, Walter, farmer, Little Noverings
Reynolds, Edwin, cottage farmer and beer retailer, Dowdings brook
Shew, Edmund George, farmer and hop grower, Cold green
Smith, John Richard, farmer and hop grower, Great Catley
Southall, Thomas, farmer, Woodlow
Spencer, Edward, farmer, Woodlow
Thompson, Edward Ballard, cider and perry merchant, farmer and hop and fruit grower, Temple court
Turner, John, farmer and boot maker, Brier Croft
Turner, R. J., Convalescent Home for Nurses, Holly mount
Warner, Henry, beer retailer, New Inn
Wood, W., farmer & Miller, Lower Mill
Wood-Roe, William Brookes, farmer and hop grower, The Slatch