[Preamble] [Private Residents] [Commercial Residents]
BOSBURY is a village and parish on the river Leadon, 3½ miles
from Ledbury railway station, on the Hereford and Worcester section of the
Great Western railway and 14 east from Hereford, in the southern division of
the county, Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, county court district and petty
sessional division, rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of
Hereford. The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient building of stone in the
Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, with
clerestory, aisles, south porch of open timberwork, and a massive detached
embattled tower of the 13th century, situated about 60 feet south of the
church, and containing 6 bells: a clock was presented by the Rev. John Edmund
Cheese, late vicar, in 1878: the chancel is separated from the nave by a
fine oak screen, now  being restored as a memorial to “Edna Lyall”;
she died in 1903 and is buried near the churchyard cross: at the east end of the south
aisle is the chantry chapel of Sir Rowland Morton, a beautiful
specimen of Late Pointed architecture: there are monuments with recumbent
figures on each side of the chancel to John Harford, ob. 1573, and to his son,
Richard Harford, and his wife, dated 1578: the stained east window is a joint
memorial to Lieut. Arthur Clinton Baskerville Mynors, who died at Natal in 1879,
and Charles Baskerville Mynors, d. 1863, and there are other stained windows: the
font is a work of the 12th century, and there is a still older one, probably of
Saxon origin, of which now only the bowl remains: the pulpit is of finely
carved oak: a handsome brass eagle lectern was presented to the church in 1894:
in the porch are the remains of a holy-water stoup: the restoration of the chancel
and repewing of the nave was completed in 1871, at a cost of £3,000, under
the superintendence of Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, of London; there are sittings for
450 persons: the churchyard contains a well-preserved village cross. The register
dates from the year 1558.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £240, including six acres of glebe, with
residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held since 1908 by the Rev.
Thomas William Harvey M.A. of St. Catherines College, Cambridge. There is
a Wesleyan chapel at Stanley Hill, erected in 1863, and a Primitive Methodist
chapel at Swinmore, also a meeting house for Plymouth Brethren. Bosbury House,
the seat of Willoughby Baskerville Mynors esq. D.L. J.P. is a mansion of red brick and
stone in the Italian style, with balustrades and a portico; Old Court, now a farm, was formerly
a palace of the bishops of Hereford; the refectory is used as a cider cellar, but the doorway
and wicket are still perfect. In the Crown Inn, formerly the mansion of the Harford
family, there is an ancient panelled room, with the date 1571: over the fireplace are
four shields with the arms of John Skipp, bishop of Hereford 1539-53; of William Paulet,
first Marquess of Winchester K.G. who died 1572, with the garter and coronet; Wrottesley, of
Wrottesley; Scrope, of Castle Combe, Wilts; and Fox of Bromfield; the room is
now used as the lodge room of the Bishop Swinfield Lodge of Oddfellows (M.U.).
Temple Court, the residence of Mr. Edward Ballard Thompson, farmer, was formerly
occupied by the Knights Templars. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of
the manor of the whole parish. Willoughby B. Mynors esq., John Harford Pitt esq.,
William B. Wood-Roe esq. and Charles Henry Crane esq. of Tettenhall, Wolverhampton
are the principal landowners. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. This is a
cider and hop district. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops and barley. The
area is 4,816 acres of land and 9 of water; rateable value, £6,339; the
population in 1901 was 872.
Catley, half a mile northwest, Upleadon, 1 mile west-by-south, and Swinmore
3 miles are places in the parish.
Parish Clerk, John Turner.
Post, M. O. & T. Office. Miss Fanny Kendrick, sub-postmistress.
Letters are received through Ledbury at 7.20 a.m. & 1.20 p.m.; dispatched thereto at 11.20 a.m.
& 5.30 p.m.; received on Sunday at 7.45 a.m.; dispatched 9.25 a.m..
Wall Letter Boxes.Stanley Hill, cleared at 5 p.m. daily (except
sunday); Broad Oak Cross roads at 8.45 a.m. & 4 p.m.; New house, 11.25 a.m. & 5.25 p.m.;
Woodlow, 9.10 a.m. & 4.30 p.m.; Staplow, 11.35 a.m. & 5.45 p.m.; Sundays 9.40 a.m.;
Swinmore, 8.10 a.m. & 4.30 p.m. week days only;
Police Station, Douglas Evans, officer in charge
Free Grammar, built & endowed by Sir Rowland Morton in 1540 with lands now yielding
yearly a rental of £132, for 60 boys; average attendance, 58; John Knight Job, master
Public Elementary (girls & infants), built in 1848 & enlarged
in 1883, & again in 1894, for 120 girls; average attendance, 82; Miss Mary
Carriers to :
Ledbury Richard Preece, Charles Hickox, George Nutt, John Jones &
Joseph Lewis, tues
Malvern Joseph Lewis, mon. & fri
Returning same days