Bosbury in
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire 1905

 
[Preamble] [Private Residents] [Commercial Residents]
BOSBURY is a village and parish on the river Leadon, 3½ miles north from Ledbury railway station, on the Hereford and Worcester section of the Great Western railway and 14 east from Hereford, in the Southern division of the county, Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, county court district and petty sessional division, rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient building of stone in the Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, with clerestory, aisles, south porch of open timberwork, and a massive detached embattled tower of the 13th century, situated about 60 feet south of the church, and containing 6 bells: a clock was presented by the Rev. John Edmund Cheese, late vicar, in 1878: the chancel is separated from the nave by a fine oak screen; the restoration of the chancel and the repewing of the nave was completed in 1871, at a cost of £3,000, under the superintendence of Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, of London: at the east end of the south aisle is the chantry chapel of Sir Rowland Morton, a beautiful specimen of Late Pointed architecture: there are monuments with recumbent figures on each side of the chancel to John Harford, ob. 1573, and to his son, Richard Harford, and his wife, dated 1578: the stained east window is a joint memorial to Lieut. Arthur Clinton Baskerville Mynors, who died at Natal in 1879, and Charles Baskerville Mynors, d. 1863, and there are other stained windows: the font is a work of the 12th century, and there is a still older one, probably of Saxon origin, of which now only the bowl remains: the pulpit is of finely carved oak: a handsome brass eagle lectern was presented to the church in 1894: in the porch are the remains of a holy-water stoup: there are sittings for 450 persons: the churchyard contains a well-preserved village cross. The register dates from the year 1558.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £230, including six acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held since 1897 by the Rev. Robert Burges Bayly, of St. John’s College, Cambridge. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Stanley Hill, erected in 1863, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Swinmore, also a meeting house for Plymouth Brethren.  Bosbury House, the seat of Willoughby Baskerville Mynors esq. D.L. J.P. is a structure of red brick and stone in the Italian style, with balustrades and a portico. It contains a fine collection of curiosities, ancient and modern. Old Court, now a farm, was formerly a palace of the bishops of Hereford; the refectory is used as a cider cellar, and the doorway and wicket are still perfect. In the Crown Inn, formerly the mansion of the Harford family, there is an ancient panelled room, with the date 1571: over the fireplace are four shields with the arms of John Skipp, bishop of Hereford 1539-53; of William Paulet, first Marquess of Winchester K.G. who died 1572, with the garter and coronet; Wrottesley, of Wrottesley; Scrope, of Castle Combe, Wilts; and Fox of Bromfield; the room is now used as the lodge room of the Bishop Swinfield Lodge of Oddfellows (M.U.). Temple Court, the residence of Mr. John Henry Davies, farmer, was formerly occupied by the Knights Templars. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor of the whole parish. Willoughby B. Mynors esq., John Harford Pitt esq., William B. Wood-Roe esq., Charles Henry Crane esq. of Tettenhall, Wolverhampton are the principal landowners. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. This is a cider and hop district. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops and barley. The area is 4,816 acres of land and 9 of water; rateable value, £6,339; the population in 1901 was 872.
Catley, half a mile north–west, Upleadon, 1 mile west-by-south, are places in the parish.
 
Parish Clerk, Charles Bettington.
 
Post, M. O. & T. O., T.M.O., E.D., P.P., S.B. & A.B.I. Office.– Miss Sarah Kendrick, sub-postmistress. Letters are received through Ledbury at 7.20 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 5.30 p.m.; no delivery on Sunday.
Wall Letter Boxes.–Stanley Hill, cleared at 5 p.m. daily (except sunday); Broad Oak Cross roads at 4.10 p.m.; New house, 5.35 p.m. and Woodlow, 4.10 p.m. week days only;

Police Station, Douglas Evans, officer in charge

Schools.

Free Grammar, built & endowed by Sir Rowland Morton in 1540 with lands now yielding yearly a rental of £120, for 60 boys; average attendance, 58; John Knight Job, master
Public Elementary (girls & infants), built in 1848 & enlarged in 1883, & again in 1894, for 120 girls; average attendance, 82; Miss Mary Arrowsmith, mistress

Carriers to :–
Ledbury – Charles Bettington, Charles Hickox, George Nutt, John Jones & Sarah Cartwright, tues
Malvern – Sarah Cartwright, mon. & fri
Returning same days

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Barret James, Staplow house.
Bayly Rev. Robt. Burges (vicar), Vicarage.
Davies John Henry, Temple Court.
Manning James Parker, Stanley House.
Mynors Willoughby Baskerville D.L. J.P., Bosbury House.
Pitman Henry, The Firs.
Pritchard Mrs., Swinmore
Willcox Samuel, The Grange.
Wood-Roe William Brookes, The Slatch.
 
COMMERCIAL.
Barrett James, farmer & landowner, Staplow house
Bettington Charles, farmer & carrier
Bettington Wm. beer retailer, The Brook
Biddle Benjamin, Crown Inn
Bishop Thomas, beer retailer, Staplow
Bosley Charles, farmer, Lower Cold Green
Bosley Thomas Edwin, farmer, fruit grower, cider merchant, hop grower & landowner, Bentleys
Box W, farmer & hop grower, Woodlow
Buck (Mrs.) convalescent home for nurses, Holly Mount
Bufton John, wheelwright
Bunn Geo. farmer & hop grower, Swinmore
John Cale, carpenter, Old Country,
Sarah Cartwright (Mrs.), carrier
Collett Wm., grocer & provision dealer
Cotton Allan, wheelwright & smith
Cotton John, farmer & hop grower, The Hill
Davies John Henry, landowner, fruit grower, cider & perry merchant, farmer & hop grower, Temple Court
Davis James, butcher
Edwards Joseph, farmer & landowner, Broadcroft, Fox Hill
Edwards William, farmer & landowner, Woodlow
Gardiner Thomas, farmer & hop grower, Townend
Gardiner Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Northbridge
Gibbs Edwin, farmer, Stanley Hill
Green William, farmer & hop grower, Lower house
Hall Alfred, farmer, Long acre
Harford Richard, farmer, Swinmore
Harris William, farmer & hop grower, Upleadon Court
Hawkins Thomas, farmer, Paunceford court
Hickox Charles, blacksmith & carrier, Pow green
Hodgkiss John, farmer, Nelmes
Homes William, farmer & hop grower, Gold hill
Homes Wm. J. farmer, Upleadon farm
Jackson Joseph, farmer & hop grower, Orchards & Noverings
Job Jn. Knight, schoolmaster, teacher of music, sec. to Bosbury Horse Show Society, organist & assistant overseer, Nash end
Jones Geo., farmer, Little Noverings
Jones John, carrier
Lane Edward Thomas, farmer & hop grower, Old Co
Lane William Sivell, farmer & hop & cider grower, The Farm
Lawrence Robert & Thomas, millers (water), Lower mill & farmers, Sugarcroft
Layton Albert, farmer, Old Country
Lewis Thomas, blacksmith,
Malin Thomas, baker & shopkeeper
Mutlow Richard, farmer, Shiloe
Oram Frederick, farm bailiff to William Baskerville Mynors esq. & hop grower, Ailscroft
Orgee Alfred, farmer & hop grower, The Green farm & beer retailer, Old Country
Palmer James, farmer & miller (water), Upper mill
Palmer Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Dog Farm
Parsons James, sawyer
Payne Thomas, farmer, Catley Cross & Merrings farm
Pember William, farmer & hop grower, North farm & Hill house
Philpotts Harold, cider merchant & fruit dealer, New inn
Philpotts Henry, shopkeeper
Philpotts Matthew, beer retailer; every accommodation for cyclists, New inn
Powell William, farmer & hop grower, Little Catley
Preece Ambrose, Bell inn
Preece Richard, farmer & hop grower, Pow green
Pudge Henry James, farmer & hop grower, Note house
Pullen Jas. Shopkeeper & carrier, Stanley hill
Shew Edmund Geo. farmer, Cold green
Smith John, farmer, Great Catley
Smith William, draper & grocer
Spencer Edward, farmer, Woodlow
Turner John, farmer & bootmaker, Briercroft
Vobe Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Hill pk [park]

Typeface on this page is Clarendon published in 1845.

Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire. Published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd, London WC2, 1905.

Transcribed by Liz Keatley, Bosbury Chroniclers 2015.


 go to previous page go to front page
print page 
resize text