[Preamble] [Private Residents] [Commercial Residents]
BOSBURY is a village and parish on the river Leadon, 3½ miles north
from Ledbury railway station, on the Hereford and Worcester section of the
Great Western railway and 14 east from Hereford, in the Southern division of
the county, Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, county court district and petty
sessional division, rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of
Hereford. The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient building of stone in the
Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, with
clerestory, aisles, south porch. of open timberwork, and a massive detached
embattled tower of the 13th century, situated about 60 feet south of the
church, and containing 6 bells: a clock was presented by the Rev. John Edmund
Cheese, a former vicar, in 1878: the chancel is separated from the nave by a
fine oak screen, two panels of which were carved in 1909 as a memorial to Edna
Lyall, who died in 1903 and is buried near the churchyard cross: at the east end
of the south aisle is the chantry chapel of Sir Rowland Morton, a beautiful
specimen of Late Pointed architecture: there are monuments with recumbent
figures on each side of the chancel to John Harford, ob. 1573, and to his son,
Richard Harford, and his wife, dated 1578: the stained east window is a joint
memorial to Lieut. Arthur Clinton Baskerville Mynors, who died at Natal in 1879,
and Charles Baskerville Mynors, d. 1863, and there are other stained windows: the
font is a work of the 12th century, and there is a still older one, probably of
Saxon origin, of which now only the bowl remains: the pulpit is of finely
carved oak: a handsome brass eagle lectern was presented to the church in 1894:
in the porch are the remains of a holy-water stoup: the restoration of the
chancel and repewing of the nave was completed in 1871, at a cost of £3,000,
under the superintendence of Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, of London: there
are sittings for 450 persons: the churchyard contains a well-preserved village
cross. The register dates from the year 1558.
The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £298, gross yearly value £320,
including 6 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford,
and held since 1879 by the Rev. Samuel Bentley M.A. of St. Catharines College,
Cambridge, surrogate. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Stanley Hill, erected in 1863,
and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Swinmore, also a meeting house for Plymouth
Brethren. Bosbury House, the seat of Willoughby Baskerville Mynors esq. D.L.,
J.P. is a structure of red brick and stone in the Italian style, with balustrades
and a portico; it contains a fine collection of curiosities, ancient and modern.
Old Court, now a farm, was formerly a palace of the bishops of Hereford; the
refectory is used as a cider cellar, but the doorway and wicket are still perfect.
Temple Court, the residence of John Pitt Harford esq. was formerly occupied by the
Knights Templars. In the Crown Inn, formerly the mansion of the Harford family,
there is an ancient panelled room, with the date 1571: over the fireplace are
four shields with the arms of John Skipp, bishop of Hereford 1539-53; of William
Paulet, first Marquess of Winchester K.G. who died 1572, with the garter and
coronet; Wrottesley, of Wrottesley; Scrope, of Castle Combe, Wilts; and Fox of
Bromfield; the room is now used as the lodge room of the Bishop Swinfield Lodge
of Oddfellows (M.U.). The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor of
the whole parish. Willoughby Baskerville Mynors, John Harford Pitt esq. and
Charles Henry Crane esq. of Tettenhall, Wolverhampton are the principal landowners.
The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. This is a cider and hop district. The chief crops
are wheat, beans, hops and barley. The area is 4,734 acres; rateable value,
£6,928 the population in 1891 was 916.
Catley, half a mile north-west and Upleadon, 1 mile west-by-south are places in the parish.
Parish Clerk, Charles Bettington.
Post, M. O. & T. & O., S. B. Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office.
Mrs Sarah Kendrick, sub-postmistress. Letters are received through Ledbury at 7.20 a.m.; dispatched
thereto at 5.30 p.m.
Wall Letter Box, Stanley Hill, cleared at 5 p.m. daily except sundays
Police Station, William W. Jones, officer in charge
Free Grammar, built & endowed by Sir Rowland Morton in 1540 with lands now yielding
yearly a rental of £108, for 60 boys; average attendance, 53; John Knight Job, master
Public Elementary (girls & infants), built in 1848 & enlarged in 1883, &
again in 1894, for 120 girls; average attendance, 82; Miss Mary Ann Arrowsmith, mistress
Carriers to :
Ledbury Jas. Pullen, Alfred Hall & Sarah Cartwright, tues
Worcester James Pullen, sat
Hereford Thomas Payne, wed. & sat
Malvern Sarah Cartwright, mon. & fri
Returning same days