BOSBURY is a parish and village in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union and county court district, rural deanery of South Frome and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, 4 miles north from Ledbury, 14 east from Hereford, and 145 from London, situated on the river Leadon. The parish is divided into three townships—Bosbury, Upleadon and Catley. The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient building, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles; a square tower of great thickness and strength, was erected in the 13th century, it is detached from the church: there are six bells, and a clock was presened by the late vicar, the Rev.John Edmund Cheese, in 1878: the chancel is separated from the nave by a fine oak screen; the nave has been partially restored, and the roof opened; the restoration of the chancel and repewing of the nave was completed in 1871, at a cost of £3,000, under the superintendence of Ewan Christian, esq. architect, Whitehall place, London: there are some ancient monuments to the Harford family, also some fine specimens of old carving in the pulpit: there is an organ. The register dates from the year 1558.
The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held
by the Rev. Samuel Bentley, M.A. of St Catharines College, Cambridge. There is a Free Grammar school
for boys, with a yearly endowment of the value of £107 per annum. Bosbury House, the seat of the Rev. Edward
Higgins, M.A., D.L. for Herefordshire and Worcestershire, is an Italian structure of red brick and stone, with balustrades
and portico; it contains a fine collection of curiosities, ancient and modern. Old Court, which is now a farm, was
formerly a palace of the Bishops of Hereford: the refectory is used as a cider cellar; the doorway and wicket are still
perfect. Temple Court, the residence of John Pitt, esq. was formerly occupied by the Knights Templar. There is also an
ancient panelled room in the Crown Inn, bearing date 1571, with the arms of different members of the Harford
family: over the fire-place four shields are placed in a line and three bosses remain in the ceiling, the first and second,
coats of arms of Skipp, Bishop of Hereford; third, the paternal coat and quarterings of William Paulet, first Marquis of
Westminster, with the garter and coronet: the room is now used as a lodge room of the Bishop Swinfield Lodge of Oddfellows
(M.U.) The Ecclesiatical Commissioners are lords of the manor of the whole parish. The Rev. Edward Higgins and John Pitt,
esq., are the principal landowners. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops and barley. The area is 4,769 acres;
rateable value, £8,043; and the population in 1871 was 1,005;
CATLEY township is half a mile north-west.
UPLEADON township is 1 mile west-by-south.
Parish Clerk, Edwin Townsend.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.—Mrs. Sarah Kendrick, sub-postmistress. Letters are received
through Ledbury at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 3.55 p.m.
Police Station, Robert McDonald, officer in charge
Assistant Overseer, John Shaw
Free Grammar School for Boys, Samuel Morgan, master
National (girls), Miss Mary Ann Arrowsmith, mistress
CARRIER TO WORCESTER.— Walter Bullock, every saturday, returning same day