Bosbury School - 1548 Report to the Court of Augmentations:
Certificates of Colleges, Chantries and Similar Foundations
Tap or click images to enlarge
The Court of Augmentations was one of a number of financial courts established during Henry VIIIs reign
in 1536 to administer monastic properties and revenues confiscated by the crown at the dissolution of the
monasteries. As part of the process, three surveys of the chantries and similar religious institutions
were carried in 1546 and 1548. Commissioners in each sheriffs jurisdiction were required to find out, and
certify to the Court of Augmentations, the landholdings of those institutions which were under consideration to
be dissolved. Information was recorded as to the purpose for which they were founded, the parish in which they
were located and information about the lands, income and expenditure of the chantries and the value of any
ornaments, jewels, plate and goods and chattels belonging to them. Rev. Samuel Bentley in his 1891 book gave the
names of the Kings Commissioners as William Crouch, William Green, John Scudamore and John Borne and the date
of their report as 6th February 1546/7. In the event, Bosburys modest school was allowed to continue.
National Archives ref. E301/24. Document provided by Pat Matthews, transcription by Barry Sharples, 2013.